Monday, May 21, 2007

Over the river and through the woods...


This past week Evan, Eli and I went to visit the Great-Grandparents. What an adventure! Back in the good old days Pat and I could make the drive in a little less that 4 hours. Travelling by myself with the boys it took me 6. I was sure I was going to lose my mind before we arrived.

I had carefully planned my departure time, so that I could make it to Queechee Gorge before nap time. The plan was to get some miles in, go for a hike at the gorge, feed the baby, and enjoy lunch at the snack bar before setting off again. What I didn't factor in to this equation was the driving rain, or the fact that Evan would actually fall asleep before we got there. So much for careful planning. I pressed on past the gorge, only to make it to Woodstock (just a few miles down the road) before Eli's cries could no longer be placated with the pacifier, which by the way took some major contortioning on my part to hold in his mouth while driving. Unfortunately as soon as I stopped the car Evan woke up, after only a brief 30 minute nap. By now the rain was coming down in sheets. I parked as close to the restaurant door as I could, but we still managed to get wet. While we waited for our food I nursed the baby and tried my best to politely ignore a very talkative dad at the next table.

Once back on the road, we made it to Rutland (about 30 miles) before Evan needed to use the potty again and I needed a cup of coffee. I went out of my way to a great little coffee shop downtown, only to discover it had gone out of business. Moving on, we made it another 30 miles this time to the VT/NY border before Eli decided he needed to eat again. After feeding Eli, Evan and I played frisbee on the wet grass until the rain forced us to move on. To my relief that was the last stop. Eli went to sleep, but Evan was growing restless. I really couldn't blame him, but it took all of my energy to keep him occupied. I had remembered to pack the portable DVD player, but I had forgotten to pack more than one DVD. By the third showing, the 30 minute Elmo video was driving us both batty. And so we filled the last hour with "I spy with my little eye" which is a great game if you are not riding on the Northway in the Adirondacks. Because there is nothing to "spy" except trees, and highway signs - but I managed to stretch the game out until at last our exit came in to view.

Our visit was more than worth the effort of the journey. Evan enjoyed his Great-Grandparents very much (and vice versa of course).

1 comment:

Val F. said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the level of planning involved to keep those kids entertained!