Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The long awaited elephant ride

For months Evan has been talking about taking 2 airplanes to India to ride an Eph-a-nant. I too had been anxiously awaiting this opportunity. Despite the fact that I was concerned about the animal's treatment and care, I checked my bleeding heart at the door and climbed aboard.

I wish I could say that it had been "Awesome!", but instead I will say it was kinda fun. Evan was whining endlessly while we waited in line. We tried our best to distract him, but to little avail - he didn't want to wait in line.
When we finally boarded the beast and made the 10 minute journey up the hill to Amer Fort we were seated side saddle on a large pillow topped platform. It was not terribly comfortable and I got splashed with some elephant pee, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. Evan came around half way through and enjoyed seeing all of the other elephants around us.
Before we were allowed to disembark, the elephant driver(?) informed us we needed to give the elephant a tip - despite having paid for the ride. Once we were on the ground we actually had more fun watching the dozens of elephants make their way through the court yard. Sadly we do not have any pictures of the four of us on the elephant but we managed to get a few nice pictures of the countless other elephants.

Our Elephant Driver


The ride up the hill

No comments: