Monday, August 13, 2007

The Taj Mahal

At breakfast this morning we were served Taj Mahal Tea. The tab on the tea bag had a tiny picture of the Taj that I showed to Evan. I explained that it was like a giant sand castle and it was very beautiful and that we were going there for a visit. He kept the little picture in his pocket and told all of the Indians we encountered that we were going to see the “Zhaj Labal”. But I digress…

Everyone says that if you’re coming to India you must see the Taj Mahal. My expectations were high and I had a nagging fear that I would be disappointed. Like everyone else in the western world I had already seen dozens of photographs and I was familiar with at least some of the history. Was it really going to be as spectacular as everyone says? But, when I walked through the North Gate and the whole building came in to view, it literally took my breath away. Even from the gate it was majestic. Photographs seem to do little justice to the splendor of this magnificent structure.

As we stood near the gate listening to our guide I became aware that someone was standing beside me. I turned to find a woman in a beautiful yellow sari just inches away posing for a picture beside me and Eli while her family stood by giggling. I did what any good Yankee would do – I pretended not to notice, despite her proximity I did not want to embarrass anyone.

Not a minute later a group of young men came along. They stopped several feet away staring and laughing before one of them came over to stand beside me for another photograph. Admittedly I was slightly annoyed, but I just pretended not to notice and we moved on.

As we progressed, however, it became apparent that people were very, very interested in us. Everyone we encountered – and there were thousands of people – stopped, smiled, pointed, and nudged those around them. Soon people were approaching us to touch the boys – this is not a taboo here, Indians love babies and they are not shy about showing it! Those that could speak English would ask “Boy or Girl” and “Name?” There were more pictures. More introductions. I found myself standing with whole families smiling for photographs. And the children… the Indian children were awe struck with Evan. It was like he was from the moon. The children crowded around him each just wanting to touch him. It was very surreal to see his little white face surrounded by a sea of Indian children. Evan handled it with grace, although towards the end I think he was as overwhelmed as I. So this is what it’s like to be a rock star? No wonder the guidebook recommended dark glasses.Here we were standing before one of the Seven Wonders of the World and for a brief period it was as though our children, not the Taj Mahal, enjoyed this title. I thought surely these people have seen Westerners before, until our guide reminded us that people come from all over India – rich and poor – to see the Taj, and some may not have ever seen “our kind”. Of those that have I’m sure they’ve never seen a redheaded baby in Bjorn carrier on a blond woman before.

On our way back to the car, the armed guards and souvenir hawkers all stopped to gawk and elbow their neighbors as we walked by. It suddenly became apparent that our children were going to give this journey a unique richness that can't be enjoyed by other tourists. They are going to open doors and make connections that Pat and I could not our own.

For more pictures of our trip to the Taj click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43788174@N00/sets/72157601608978740/show/

4 comments:

Joy said...

What an amazing experience! The boys are just beautiful. Congratulations Pat!

Cory said...

Jessie - These posts are so colorful, funny and inspirational! Reading your adventures is like being transported so that we're right there with you! Thanks for taking us along!

Andrea Love said...

Hey Jess--We all knew you were a talented photographer, but who knew you were such a great story teller, too?! Cory's right, your insights are so detailed and specific, we really do feel like we're right there with you. And the accompanying photos really capture the local color and on-site details that one just doesn't get on the news, or from postcards, etc. Speaking of news---I sure hope you guys stay safe!? I was reading about the awful explosions there in Hyderabad yesterday...I'm sending lots of good ju-ju your way. :) Take care! Hugs to all!

Mom & Dad B said...

Jessie (this is Mike's Mom & Dad)...reading your blogs was like reading a descriptive book where one can't wait to get to the end. Your children are beautiful. We're amazed at how the 'indians' almost revere the 'blondness' of the westerners. Thanks for the photo tour.....what a colorful and spectacular land. Congratulations on Pat's teacher exchange....surely it will open many avenues. Enjoy your stay. Will check in now and then to catch up on the latest new.