Friday, November 2, 2007

The tourist in me

So I purchased a skirt today. Seduced by it's orangey coolness I gave in to the ever decreasing price of the seller (and still spent a buck too much). I was pleased with my new skirt. I decided it would keep me cool in this hot, sticky weather. I was pleased that is, until I started seeing my skirt all over town. In every souvenir shop and even on other tourists! Oh, the horror! I was suddenly embarrassed by my new skirt. Embarrassed that in this city of tourists, I suddenly looked like one of them. You see, I was feeling a bit self righteous when we rolled in to Fort Cochin. Suddenly we were surrounded by tourists and trendy restaurants and good coffee!! It was strange to dine only with white people. It was relaxing not to be the center of attention. And fun to eat and drink the delicacies of home. But at the same time I didn't want to be associated with them - these other tourists. I live here. India is my home, however temporary, and I am proud of it. I realize of course that in Fort Cochin and for the rest of our holiday I would be a tourist in every sense of the word. But I began to feel bad for the other tourists in Fort Cochin. If this is what they saw of India, than they were missing the best parts. The fancy coffee shops , swank restaurants and fancy shops were great, but this is not how Indians live. For us it was a wonderful break from the routine of our Indian life. It was a treat to drink coffee and eat carrot cake and quiche. It was nice to be anonymous in a crowd, and fun to shop in the stores. But I hope my fellow tourists had other opportunities to see the real India, and experience the warmth and hospitality of her people. Otherwise I fear they have missed the real magic of India.

Me in my new tourist skirt with Erin and Eli

No comments: