Wednesday, March 19, 2008

911

Eli called 911. It happened innocently enough. He loves the phone and managed to get his hands on it. He was in my lap, so I was aware that he had the phone and periodically checked to be sure he wasn't calling anyone. Then to my chagrin I heard the telltale sounds of the phone dialing. I grabbed the phone and hit "END". Eli broke into a loud, raucous scream of anger and disgust at the grave injustice he was served.

The phone rang almost immediately. No caller ID info. Suspicious. But I answered it anyway. Eli seeing me with the phone again was re-angered and began a hearty wail louder than before. I asked the caller to please hold on because I couldn't hear what they were saying. I handed Eli to Hemanth and adjourned to the kitchen so I could hear. To my absolute horror the caller identified herself as "An operator from Manchester City 911". She was calling because they had received a call from our phone.

Embarrassment, nay, humiliation surged through me. I politely explained what had happened (while Eli screamed in the next room) and begged her forgiveness repeatedly. She was kind and professional and assured me it was not a problem. I was feeling pretty small, baffled by the odds that Eli could actually dial 911 and then hit "SEND". Then the phone rang again. This time the caller ID read "Manchester City". Now I was feeling even smaller.

It was yet another operator following up on the 911 call and assuring our safety. I sheepishly recounted the story ... again, then apologized another half dozen times. After I hung up, I jokingly said, they'll probably send a cruiser. They didn't. They sent TWO! Yup. Two cruisers pulled up across the street and then came to our front door with an authoritative knock.

The officers were friendly and professional. They looked us over as I recounted the story for a third time, emphasizing that the baby was crying because I had taken the phone away, and that I had not realized that he had dialed 911. (I checked the redial and there were a dozen numbers on the screen, the first three just happened to be 911) They apparently decided we were alright and went on their way.

My private humiliation was now public for all the neighbors to see. But I was impressed with the protocol and professionalism of all involved. I'm sure I'll probably see another cruiser pass by in a day or two, but I suppose there are worse things.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Classic.
Thanks for updating. I like to see pics of the boys. Hope all is well.